- 1 + 1/4 cup whole grain spelt flour
- 1 cup regular oats
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg (1/8th tsp)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water), mixed together (or you can have1 egg or 2 egg whites)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup mashed banana (1 ripe medium sized banana)
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick mat. Set aside. Mix your flax egg together (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water) in a bowl and set aside.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix your wet ingredients: vanilla extract, almond milk, mashed banana, and gelled up flax egg. Whisk well.
3. Now pour the wet mixture onto the dry mixture and stir well. It will take a bit of elbow grease to get the mixture fully mixed, but not to worry.
4. Scoop 2 tbsp or a bit more for each cookie mix, leaving about 1.5-2 inches between each. Do not press the mixture flat. Bake for 14 minutes at 350F or until slightly golden in colour, but still soft. Please note that these cookies should be soft and do not get crisp or firm.
6. Cool on pan for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Makes about 17 cookies.