Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Finally done with rush! Very stressful weekend; had not time to get any homework done.  So this week is going to be hectic.  I started the toneitup diet plan yesterday.  It is very flexible.  I am trying new recipes and trying to stay away from sugars... breakfast is the hard part with that. I have been looking up new recipes on http://ohsheglows.com.   She is great... reminds me of my life and eating disorders I had.
Yesterday I made

Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Inspired by Epicurious.
Yield: ~5 cups
For the salad:
  • 1 cup uncooked Red quinoa
  • 1 (14oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
  • 2 Green Onions, chopped
  • 1 cup fresh corn (optional) *see note
  • 1 small avocado, chopped into 1 inch pieces

For the dressing:
  • 4-5 tbsp of fresh lime juice (Juice from 2 small limes)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin, or more to taste

Directions:
1. Cook 1 cup Red Quinoa according to package directions.
2. While quinoa is cooking, prepare the chopped vegetables and whisk together the dressing.
3. Allow quinoa to cool after cooking for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add the beans and vegetables and toss well.
4. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with salt and pepper to taste. Bring salad to room temperature before serving. Keep fresh in a sealed container for 1-2 days. Makes about 5 cups.

It is so delicious. I had it for dinner last night. I just leave out the avacado until I am going to eat it so that it does not be brown and mushy.  
Today is another busy day. working on a project that is due tomorrow that I have not started because I have had rush all weekend and I do not have my book yet. Then class until 3, work until dinner, and then class until 8:30pm ! I hope we get the project done so I do not have to stay up late.  I am already reday for bed. At least I all ready ran and hour today. If time I might so some intervals on the stairs.  
Food log 
Meal 1:  Oatmeal: 1/4 oats, 1/3 cup dried cherries, 1/2 cup almond milk, 2 tbl honey
Meal 2: 4 rice cakes, 1tbl honey  and 1/2 tortilla and 1 tbl Honey
Meal 3:  Cherries and carrots 
Meal 4:  Red Quinoa and black bean vegetable salad
Meal 5: ?

No comments:

Post a Comment